Main Page - Latest News

online casino

Concealed handgun saves two Pizza Hut employees.

Former Sheriff’s Deputy working at Pizza Hut saved the day with a concealed handgun, when three robbers attacked him and the store’s manager.

Two of the attackers, both 21 year old convicted felons, were killed. Pizza Hut forbids employees from having concealed weapons, despite several high profile self-defense shooting by its employees.

From Charlotte Observer…

The Pizza Hut attempted robbery was the second closing time fast-food hold-up in less than 24 hours. Early Monday, the Wendy’s on Charlottetowne Avenue near uptown was robbed by three men as it closed. A customer was pistol-whipped. Three men were arrested a short while later and charged with armed robbery.

Pizza Hut employees have been fired for using guns in self-defense. Chris Fuller, a spokesman for Pizza Hut’s national corporate office, said that “in the interest of our employees’ safety, we don’t discuss our safety policies publicly.”

However, there have been several reports in recent years in which Pizza Hut officials said corporate policy forbids employees from having weapons while on the job.

A Pizza Hut employee in Columbia resigned last year after police said he shot and killed a robbery suspect. The employee resigned, according to Pizza Hut’s Fuller, because of the company’s policy forbidding employees from carrying firearms.

In one well-publicized May 2004 case, a Pizza Hut employee in Carmel, Ind., was fired after he shot and killed a would-be robber. And in 2008, a Pizza Hut worker in Des Moines, Iowa, lost his job after shooting and wounding a robbery suspect. Both of those Pizza Hut employees were delivery drivers.

Though the deliveryman said he knew he’d be risking his job by drawing his gun, he was tired of being robbed. He does landscaping during the day and delivers pizzas at night.

“It’s hard-earned money, and they think they can just take it?” he said Tuesday.

After killing the would-be robbers, the deliveryman went to Carolinas Medical Center for stitches and talked with investigators. Tuesday morning, he came home, talked briefly with reporters, and went to sleep until Tuesday evening.

Asked how he was feeling Tuesday night, he shook his head: “I don’t know. I don’t know.” Observer researcher Maria David and staff writer Cleve R. Wootson, Jr. contributed.