Main Page - Latest News

online casino

Perps in 2009 racially motivated lynching murder get new trial

In 2009, nine black teenagers went looking for random white people to attack and kill. They beat a 61 year old white male to death, and left another 46 year old white male with permanent injuries. In 2011, the two ringleaders were sentenced to long prison terms for murder. At least three other perps were sentenced to twenty years.

However, an appellate court has intervened and made a complete mockery out of American justice. They ruled that the two ringleaders were treated unfairly because they were immediately declared to be adults, and never given a chance to benefit from the juvenile justice system.


Five years and two months after a group of nine teen friends stomped to death 61-year-old Jerry Newingham and almost killed 46-year-old Kevin Wilson, the group’s leaders, Deonta Johnson and his brother Elliott Murphy, are preparing for their second trial.

Johnson and Murphy were serving lengthy prison terms when the 4th Appellate Court overturned their convictions last October, citing legal technicalities.

This was one of the first “point ’em out, knock ’em out” fatal attacks reported nationwide, in which groups of teens attack strangers to try to knock them out with a single punch.

Newingham was riding his bicycle on Sawyer Street near Monroe Street during the afternoon of Aug. 24, 2009, when Johnson punched him in the head, knocking him out and to the ground. Newingham was robbed of his wallet as the mob kicked, punched and stomped on the defenseless Vietnam-era Army veteran.

After running off, the mob regrouped about an hour later and attacked Wilson, who they found on a bench in the Garfield Park pavilion. He survived but suffered debilitating injuries.

After a seven-day trial in Macon County Circuit Court, Johnson and Murphy were convicted by a jury of first-degree murder and attempted murder. Johnson was sentenced to 65 years in prison, Murphy to 80 years.

After the decision by three appellate judges, which said that the judge who transferred Johnson to adult court in 2009 should have considered advantages of treatment within the juvenile justice system, Johnson is repeating the steps he took after his first arrest.